The exact schedules will be published here always shortly before the begin of each competition-round, the results shortly after the end of each round.
17th Ettlingen Int'l Piano Competition - Online Finals 2020
August 7-9, 2020
Here you find more details - stay tuned!
About the special situation of Ettlingen Competition 2020
Ettlingen, May 21, 2020
Already in March, extensive measures concerning both traveling and big events were implemented worldwide and practically all cultural events were canceled. To cancel the Ettlingen Competition too would have been easiest solution. Nevertheless,
We carried out the preliminary round for the following reasons:
- The participants (often already in quarantine for weeks) were motivated and had a goal
- A certain feedback was possible thanks to the communication of results
- No health risk
- No financial costs for participants
- There was still hope that the competition could take place in August
The positive response - 288 registrations from 33 nations - shows us that the decision was the right one. However, the pandemic continues and makes it impossible for everyone involved to plan travel, get visas and organise accommodation. In addition, in Germany big events are still prohibited by law until the end of August.
We therefore have to cancel the competition planned for August.
But we are organizing a new, additional event: The "Online Finals 2020".
For this, the 20 best-ranked applicants in each Category can register again if they wish to.
Why are we organizing an online competition?
- We want to send a positive signal, not simply cancel or postpone indefinitely
- At least 40 participants have a goal and can present themselves
- Music lovers worldwide are integrated through streaming
- The keen competition-fans in Ettlingen may be able to experience the „competition-atmosphere“ through “public viewing”
Why didn't we just "switch" the entire competition to online?
- The Ettlingen Competition has two main goals: To promote active music making on stage in front of an audience and to enable human encounters. Both impossible with an online event.
- The conditions of recordings (instrument, room, recording devices) can be very different. A great challenge for participants, jury and organisation
- There may be a suspicion that recordings have been manipulated
- We want to make sure that everything works smoothly for the participants as usual, within our financial, technical and personnel framework.
A positive outlook at the end: The 18th international competition has already been announced for August 6 to 14, 2022.
The age limit in category B will be exceptionally extended by two years, so everyone who could not participate now has still the chance to be heard in Ettlingen. Let’s keep in touch - we are looking forward to meet you in Ettlingen 2022!
Ettlingen, March 2020
Dear participants, dear families and teachers, dear friends of Ettlingen Piano Competition,
the current crisis affects everybody, and nobody knows for sure, how the situation will develop in the next weeks and months.
We think, the best what we can do now is: To focus on the health and well being of everybody and to continue making and listening to Music and to go on with practising piano.
For this reason, we encourage you to apply for the upcoming Ettlingen Competition!
Online-application is open. If you didn’t register yet, start today. The system will guide you step by step, it must not be done everything in one day. Begin to type in your personal data, later choose your repertoire and upload audio-recordings and other documents.
Just keep in mind: Everything has to be completed by the deadline, April 21, 2020.
In case of questions, always write us using the contact-link in the online-application.
By applying, you must not pay any fee, nor assume any other obligation - just concentrate on the music.
Our plan is to publish the result of the preliminary judging by end of May. Then we decide if we can organise the competition in August as planned (we hope so) or if we have to find another solution.
Best wishes to all of you from the Competition-Team
Frank Reich, Director of Organisation
Ettlingen Int’l Piano Competition
Piano Recital Oleksii Kanke, 1st Prizewinner Category B in 2018
Thu April 4, 2019, 19:30 h, Ettlingen Castle, Asamsaal
Franz Schubert, Franz Liszt and Sergej Rachmaninow
Tickets: 17,50 Euro; pupils, students, handicapped persons 15 Euro
Ticket reservation starting March 1, 2019: Stadtinformation Ettlingen, Theaterkasse/Schloss, Tel. +49-7243 101-333 and www.reservix.de
Last Edition in 2018
-> 340 candidates coming from 49 nations applied
-> 99 pianists were admitted after a preselection by recordings
-> The public auditions took place at Asam-Hall in the baroque Ettlingen Castle
-> Ten main prizes and special prizes worth more than 25,000 Euro were bestowed
Videos and Photos from the Auditions in 2018
Please click on an icon to display.
Congratulations! All 2018 prizewinners on stage of Stadthalle Ettlingen, with Bank Director Michael Huber, Lord Mayor Johannes Arnold, -> Managing Director Frank Reich and -> Artistic Director Robert Benz (from left to right). Picture: Gerald Ulmann
-> Archives with documents and Media of all previous competitions since 1988.